Gardens Tennis ClubGardens Tennis is the largest and one of the most successful community tennis centres in Darwin.
Gardens Tennis Club
Gardens Tennis Club (previously Darwin Tennis Association) has provided a venue for tennis for over four decades. The Darwin Tennis Association was registered as an Incorporated Association on 1 June 1958, and was granted a Special Purpose Lease (in perpetuity) over the land occupied by the clubhouse, car park and courts, by the Northern Territory Government in 1983. Gardens Tennis Club continues to hold this lease.
The Gardens Tennis complex is one of the largest and the only community-based tennis facility in Darwin with a very significant current and future role in supporting and growing tennis participation in Darwin and the Northern Territory. The complex is currently operated by Ben McLachlan, the principal of Top End Tennis, who provide a range of tennis related services specified in a contract with Gardens Tennis Club.
The objects of Gardens Tennis Club, set out in the Gardens Tennis Club Constitution 2017, are to:
- Encourage, promote and support increased participation in tennis at the Gardens Tennis Centre;
- Co-operate and affiliate as necessary with other relevant organisations for the betterment of tennis in the Northern Territory.
Mission and Objectives
The mission of Gardens Tennis Club is to provide innovative, friendly and professional family and community tennis playing, coaching and health and well-being opportunities for players of all ages and all abilities, and to work co-operatively with the Service Provider, Top End Tennis, to meet the following objectives:
- To encourage, promote and support increased participation in tennis at the Club in line with the Tennis NT Strategic Plan
- To co-operate and affiliate with other relevant organisations, including Tennis NT, for the betterment of tennis in the Northern Territory
- In line with the Tennis NT Facilities Strategy, to further develop and promote the Club as a large community facility
- To develop and implement a Facilities Master Plan with defined annual items and costs
- To increase the programs and services offered to the community, through general tennis, tournaments, school and corporate participation and to enhance junior development
- To increase membership by 10 per cent per annum
- To increase annual sponsorship.
Gardens Tennis Club Committee 2018-19
President: Charles Webb
Vice President: Mike Little
Treasurer: Jamie O’Brien
Secretary: Clare Beacham
Public Officer: Lindsay Hutley
Committee member: Ruth O’Brien
Committee member: Simone Cameron
Committee member: Alister Lindsay
Summaries of recent Committee Meetings
Summary of Committee Meeting 30th January 2017
Summary of Committee Meeting 6th March 2017
Summary of Committee Meeting 10th April 2017
Summary of Committee Meeting 5th June 2017
Summary of Committee Meeting 10th July 2017
Summary of Committee Meeting 14th August 2017
Summary of DTA Committee Meeting 18th September 2017
Summary of DTA Committee Meeting 30th October 2017
Summary of DTA Committee Meeting 21st December 2017
Summary of DTA Committee Meeting 5th February 2018
Summary of DTA Committee Meeting 12th March 2018
Summary of DTA Committee Meeting 9th April 2018
Summary of DTA Committee Meeting 14th May 2018
Summary of DTA Committee Meeting 25th June 2018
Summary of GTC Committee Meeting 30th July 2018
Summary of GTC Committee Meeting 3rd September 2018
Contacting the Committee:
Members wishing to contact the Committee are requested to e mail the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 Annual General Meeting
Documents for the AGM are listed below.
Notice of 2018 Gardens Tennis Club AGM
Gardens Tennis Club Committee Nomination Form 2018
GTC AGM 2018 Agenda
revised minutes of DTA 2017 AGM
GTC AGM Presidents Report 2018
Treasurer’s Report 2018 AGM
Financial Audit Management Letter 2018
Voting arrangements at the 2018 GTC AGM
Proxy Voting Form 2018 GTC AGM
GTC – Absentee Voting Form 2018 – Committee
Darwin Tennis Association Inc Investigation Report
The Full audited financial statement exceed the size limit for the website, but copies were posted at the Club and e mailed to members
DRAFT Minutes of 2018 Annual General Meeting
Gardens Tennis Club/DTA Life Members: Horrie Kneebone (dec), John Britton, Thelma Britton
Gardens Tennis Club Patron: The Honourable Sally Thomas, AC
Gardens Tennis Club Policies and Codes
All users of Gardens Tennis Centre are expected to adhere to the following policies:
Gardens Tennis Code of Behaviour
Gardens Tennis Smoke Free Policy
Gardens Tennis Alcohol Management Policy
Gardens Tennis Safe Transport Policy
Gardens Tennis Sponsorship Policy
Tennis Australia Member Protection Policy
Masterplan for Gardens Tennis
Gardens Tennis Club was awarded a Northern Territory Government Department of Sport and Recreation 2015-2016 Facilities and Capital Equipment (FACE) grant of $18,000 to undertake a major facilities master planning exercise for the Gardens Tennis Centre.
The first stage of this master planning project was a geotechnical investigation of the Gardens Tennis Centre site carried out by Cardno Ullman & Nolan. The main findings of the study were that the cracking and distress to court surfaces observed at Gardens Tennis is most likely caused by seasonal moisture change in the subgrade, poor drainage across the court areas and corrosion in aggregates in the pavements. The recommended best option for remediation is to replace and re-profile court surfaces and to renew some or all of the pavements.
The full report on the Cardno Ullman & Nolan investigation is available below:
Report on Cardno Geotechnical Investigation
The findings of the geotechnical study fed into a facilities master planning exercise for Gardens Tennis conducted by SportDev Pty Ltd, one of the premier sports master planners in Australia. Following consideration of comments received from members and other stakeholders on a circulated draft, the Gardens Tennis Facilities Master Plan was finalised and submitted to the Northern Territory Government as part of the acquittal of the 2015-2016 FACE grant
The final plan can be viewed at:
A major task going forward will be the implementation of the Gardens Tennis Facilities Master Plan.
Good Sports Program
We are a Good Sports Level 2 accredited club.
Sporting clubs such as ours play a significant role in the community and have a responsibility to our members and their families. We have chosen to join over 6,500 clubs across Australia taking part in the Australian Drug Foundation’s Good Sports program. Through Good Sports we are committed to managing alcohol responsibly and ensuring smoke free areas, which we believe will help us to provide a healthy, safe and family friendly environment.
Through Good Sports we aim to:
- Eliminate risky drinking in the club through the promotion of a responsible approach to the sale and consumption of alcohol in the club
- Protect juniors and other young people from the misuse of alcohol in and around the club
- Provide a responsible smoke-free club environment, through designated smoking areas.
At Level 1, we are committed to:
- Not selling or consuming alcohol without an appropriate liquor license
- Training our bar staff in Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA)
- Responsibly managing smoke free areas in line with our requirement. A copy of the Gardens Tennis Smoke Free Policy is provided below